2.9K views

Update by user Sep 30, 2013

We have reached a satisfactory settlement on this matter

Original review posted by user Feb 22, 2012

My fiance had a knee replacement and it was a horrible, painful surgery. He had problems thereafter and one night two years later hobbled in and said, "There is a screw coming out of my knee." I looked and there was a screw pushing from inside his knee and he could not bend it. Next day, the surgeon who had performed the surgery turned white when he saw the x ray of the screw backing out inside his knee. My fiance had to have a SECOND surgery to replace the screw and plastic parts in his knee. It was horrendous and doubly painful the second time.

We decided to get our out of pocket costs back from Stryker, the maker of the bad knee. We have called and called and spoken to the Stryker attorney, who made us a ridiculous offer of less than 1/4 of what we spent in copays at the hospital and other expenses. But that told us that they know they are liable. We declined and gave her an offer, still way too low, but they should have jumped all over it.

Now Erika, the Stryker attorney dodges our phone calls and does not call back anymore. She thinks she can out smart us on this and that is not going to happen.

My fiance suffered greatly due to their malfeasance, lost a month of work, spent money out of his pocket to have this knee revision and had to have a 8 inch cut in his knee a SECOND TIME!!!

If your doctor ever tells you they will insert a Stryker knee or hip when doing a replacement, RUN AWAY. They sell bad products and will not stand behind them.

Had an Experience with Stryker?

Comments

Newark, New Jersey, United States #1018004

My name is kenneth gray I've had a 2nd revision surgery because the 1st implant failed after 3 yrs, I've been on pain killers since the surgery now my 3rd surgery because the 1st surgery shifted down and to the right I've been falling down 2-3 times a week and seems like no lawyers want to help me I've lost my job also the pain and 1st surgeon denied doing the surgery and called the police on me to leave his office I need help.....Kennyar15@yahoo.com

I have had 9 surgeries and 8 months ago I got a partial knee replacement of course by the end of 3 months it had completely become infected and rejected so I needed a total knee again I found out on 12-27-13 stryker for the total well I fell 2 1/2 weeks ago the 2 screws I had in from a previous surgery had become bent and again I needed revision surgery so now I have 1 3/4 screws out of my knee what should I do?

New York, England, United Kingdom #732382

This is a rather strange story, cause there are no screws used in a general total or partial knee implant. A knee implant consists of 3 parts : femur part (upper leg), a polyethylen inlay (plastic part) and a tibial (under leg) part. No screws or plates are used.

Also in a revison case, no screws are used, only some tiny screws to fixate wedges to replace lost bone. But this are really tiney screws.

This is pretty much the same for all knees, like knee from dePuy/J&J, Smith and Nephew, Biomet, Link, Zimmer and also Stryker.

I do think the stryker knee is the better one because of the single radius concept, it gives more freedom during movement, is less constrained an has shown to cause a bit less pain generally.

Good luck

to Alfredo Bini #1093569

So not true.I just had my 4 revision and it was due to a screw coming out.

Yes they use screws into the femur component.

You need better research

San Francisco, California, United States #726409

Stryker has one of the best track records in the world compared to all other major knee implant companies (this is from several independent registry data bases that many countries keep track of all compnies implants that are implanted into patients).If a screw came out of your knee, this was most likely due to your surgeon repairing something else that was damaged, as most knee implants do not have screws in them and really dont need screws in them.

Much of the problems have to do with bad surgeon techniques, not necessarily the implants (although in rare instances there are recalls for failed implant designs). Surgeons are just like carpenters, there are good ones, and there are BAD ones. I work in the operating room, believe me, just because someone has an MD after their name does not mean they are the best at what they do, they might be book smart, but have bad technical hand skills that can affect the long term results of your surgery. REALLY do YOUR research when chosing your surgeon and go with someone who does A LOT of that type of procedure, not just because you were referred to him from another doctor or friend.

Remember, implants are not magical solutions to your pain, you have to work hard after surgery to get up and get going again or your scar tissue can build up and prevent you from progress in the future and can cause pain. Joint replacements are VERY big surgeries and the recovery is different for everyone and can be very...

Not everyone does well after joint replacements; some do great, some do average, and some don't do well at all such as in this case.Good luck with your new knee, hope it does well.

to surgery worker #773869

A great answer by someone who has stood by the surgeon during the procedure and has product knowledge beyond the normal patient.

Tampa, Florida, United States #706094

we do not have to carry a card. Just tell them. I think it is a common thing these days to have joint replacements.

Beckley, West Virginia, United States #690907

DOES THE STRYKER KNEE HAVE METAL PARTS THAT WOULD MAKE THE SECURITY SYSTEM AT THE AIRPORT GO CRAZY? I'M PLANNING A TRIP AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW BEFORE I GO.

kgutierrez2
to SUNSHINE Surprise, Arizona, United States #697217

Yes, you have to carry a card with you to show them at the airport.

to kgutierrez2 #705886

I have one of those cards and TSA won't except it, they still have see the knee paints rolled up and warn it. I am a disable vet with a military disability card and have work in the defense field for 35 years with a high clearance, ever since I got out of the military. They wont except any of these cards So good luck